One of the five central universities of Uttar Pradesh, the University of Allahabad was established in 1887 and is the fourth oldest university in India (the largest 3 being the universities of Calcutta, Bombay and Madras.) It had many reputed colleges affiliated to it, which later became universities themselves - the Banaras Hindu University (1916), the Aligarh Muslim University (1920), the Lucknow University (1920) and the Nagpur University (1923).
Famous alumni from this university include Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya (the founder of BHU), Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma (former President of India), Shri Gulzari Lal Nanda (former Prime Minister of India), Shri Harivansh Rai Bachchan (Hindi poet & father of Amitabh Bachchan) among many other luminaries.
The university has a central library, 10 university hostels, 6 private hostels (recognized by the university), an active athletic association, computer centre and many more facilities for its students.
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Commerce
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Law
Undergraduate (UG) courses
- B. A.
- B. Sc.
- B. Sc. (Applied Science)
- B. Sc. (Home Science)
- B. Com.
Admission to these courses is done through the Under Graduate Admission Test (UGAT) conducted by the Allahabad University.
Post Graduate (PG) courses
- M.Sc - Botany, Zoology, Anthropology, Bio-Chemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Applied Geology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Agricultural Science
- M.A - Anthropology, Ancient History, Defence & Strategic Studies, Economics, Education, English Literature/Language, Geography, Hindi, Medieval & Modern History, Music (Vocal, Sitar, Tabla), Mathematics, Painting, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit, Statistics, Urdu
- M.Music (Vocal, Sitar, Tabla)
Admission to these courses is done through the Post Graduate Admission Test (PGAT) conducted by the Allahabad University.
- Remote sensing in GIS
Agriculture Botany, Agriculture Chemistry, Agriculture Zoology, Ancient History, Anthropology, Arabic, Biochemistry, Bio-Informatics, Botany, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Commerce, Computer Science, Defence & Strategic Studies, Economics, Education, Electronics Engg. - M. Tech. in Electronics Engg. Or Allied Subject (There will be no test for this subject. Although candidates are required to apply to be considered directly for Level 3), English, Environment Studies, Geology/Applied Geology/Geo-physics (Earth & Planetary Sciences), Food Technology, Geography, Hindi, History (Medieval & Modern), Law, Mathematics, Business Administration (MBA), Computer Applications (MCA), Music, Nutritional Science, Painting, Persian, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit, Social Sciences, Statistics, Urdu, Zoology
Admission to these courses is done through the Combined Research Entrance Test (CRET) conducted by the Allahabad University.
- Institute of Interdisciplinary studies
- Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences
- Institute of Professional Studies
- Institute of Gandhian Thought and Peace Studies
- National Centre of Experimental Mineralogy and Petrology
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Govind Ballabh Pant Social Science Institute
- Allahabad Degree College
- Arya Kanya Degree College
- Chowdhary Mahadev Prasad Degree College
- Ewing Christian College
- Hamidia Girls' Degree College
- Ishwar Sharan Degree College
- Jagat Taran Girls Degree College
- K. P. Training College
- Rajarshi Tandon Girls Degree College
- Sandanlal Sawaldas Khanna Degree College
- Shyama Prasad Mukerjee Degree College
If you have appeared for the exams conducted by the University of Allahabad, you can check your exam results at the website www.ExamResults.net. The exact link for your result is: http://results.upeducation.net/au/
University of Allahabad
University Road, Old Katra,
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, Pin: 211002
Phone: 0532 246 1083