Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (CIHTS), Varanasi
The Central University of Tibetan Studies (CUTS) earlier known as the Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (CIHTS) was set up in 1967 in Sarnath, Varanasi under the patronage of Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru and the 14th Dalai Lama in order to provide education to the Tibetan youths and youths living near the Himalayan border.But it later advanced into a a centre of excellence in Buddhism, Tibetology and the Tibetan Bon religion.
Till 1977 it functioned as a special wing of the Sampurnananda Sanskrit University, Varanasi after which it came under Department of Culture, Ministry of Education. It became a deemed-to-be university in 1988, has been accredited with 5 stars and is funded by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
A residential university, CUTS provides hostel facilities for its students as well as provision to play football, basketball, badminton and yoga. It has a central library (Shantarakshita library), named after a great Indian Buddhist scholar, Acharya Shantarakshita of the Nalanda University that has an enviable collection of texts related to Buddhism, Tibetan and Himalayan studies.
Faculty & departments
Faculty Of Hetu & Adhyatma Vidya
- Department of Mool Shastra
- Department of Sampradaya Shastra
- Department of Bon Sampradaya Shastra
Faculty Of Shabda Vidya
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Tibetan Languages and Literature
- Department of Classical and Modern Languages
- Department of Education
Faculty Of Adhunika Vidya
- Department of Social Sciences
Faculty Of Shilpa Vidya
- Department of Tibetan Traditional Woodcraft
- Department of Tibetan Traditional Painting
Faculty Of Sowa Rigpa & Bhot Jyotish Vidya
- Department of Sowa Rigpa
- Department of Bhot Jyotish Vidya
Courses at all levels are taught here:
- 2 years Poorva Madhyama (Secondary level): Baudh Dharshan, Tibetan Astrology, Tibetan medicine
- 2 years Uttar Madhyama (Senior Secondary/Intermediate level): Tibetan Fine Arts
- 3 years Shastri (Graduate): Baudh darshan, TIbetan Fine Arts
- 3 years Jyotish Shastri (Graduate): TIbetan jyotish,
- 4.5 years + 1 year internship BTMS
- 2 years Acharya (Post Graduate)
- 1 year Shiksha Shastri (B.Ed)
- 1.5 years Vishistacharya (M.Phil)
- 3 years Vidya Varidhi (Doctoral level (Ph.D.))
- Vakpati (Post Doctoral research)
Admission to most of the courses is through an entrance test that will assess your knowledge of Tibetan language among other things.
If you have appeared for the exams conducted by the Central University of Tibetan Studies (CUTS), you can check your exam results at the website www.ExamResults.net.
Central University of Tibetan Studies (Deemed University)
Uttar Pradesh, Pin: 221007