UPPSC Prelims Syllabus: Physics
1. Mechanics : Units and dimensions S.I. Units, Newtons laws of motion, Conservation of linear and angular momentum, projectiles, Rotational motion. Moment of inertia, Newtons law of gravitation, Gravitational field and potential, planetary motion. Keplers laws, Artificial satellite. Fluid motion, Bernoullis theorem and its applications. Surface tension. Excess pressure. Viscosity, Stokes law, Elastic consents and their interrelation. Bending of beam, Torsion of cylindrical bodies, Elementary idea of special theory of relativity and simple applications. Michelson Morley experiment, Lorentz transformation. Mass-energy relation and its equivalence;
2. Thermal Physics: Thermometry, zeroeth, first and second laws of thermodynamics, Heat engine. Entropy, Thermodynamical potential, Maxwells relations. Kinetic theory of gases, ideal gas equation, Brownian motion, Maxwells velocity distribution, Equipartition of energy, mean free path, Transport phenomena. Vander-walls equations of state, Critical constants. Black body radiation, Wiens and Rayleigh Jeans law, Stefan-Boltzmann law, Plancks law. Specific heat of solids, Heat conduction in solids.
3. Waves and Oscillation : Simple harmonic motion Wave motion Travelling wave, superposition of waves, standing waves, Beats, Composition of two perpendicular simple harmonic motion and Lissajous figures. Damped oscillation in mechanical and electrical systems. Forced oscillations and resonance. Simple oscillatory systems: vibration of rods, strings and air columns. Doppler effect. Ultrasonics, Fourier analysis of simple periodic waves (rectangular and saw-tooth).
4. Optics : Nature and propogation of light, Interference, Division of wave-front and amplitude, Simple interferometers. Diffraction, Fraunhoffer and Fresnel diffraction, Gratings, Zone plate. Determination of wavelength of spectral lines. Polarization of light. Brewsters law, production and detection of polarized light, electromagnetic, spectrum, rayleigh scattering, Raman effect. Laser, Coherence Population inversion, He-Ne laser.
Thin lens formula, Cardinal points, combination of coaxial thin lenses, spherical and chromatic aberrations and their correction. Optical instruments, eye-pieces, microscopes, telescopes, Rayleighs criterion of resolving power, Resolving power of optical instruments.
5. Electricity and Magnetism : Electric Charge, field and potentional, electric dipole, Gausss law and its application. Dielectrics, Capacitance, Electric current. Ohms law. Kirchoffs law. wheatstons bridge and its application. Potentiometer, Biot-Savarts law. Motion of charged particle in magnetic field, Hall effect, moving coil galvanometer. Faradays laws of electro-magnetic induction, Lenzs law, self and mutual inductance and their applications. Alternating current, LCR circuits. Reactance, Impedance, Dynamo Motors, Thermoelectricity, seebeck, peltier and Thomson effects and their application, electromagnetic waves : Maxwells equations, Hertz experiment, Particle accelerators, Cyclotron Betatrol, Mass spectrometers, Dia-, para-and ferro-magnetism.
6 Modem Physics: Measurement of electronic charge and specific charge e/m, Measurement of Plancks Constant, Rutherford atomic model; Bohrs theory of hydrogen atom, Optical and X-ray spectra, Braggs law, Mosleys law. Photo-electric and Comption effects. Wave nature of matter, wave particle duality, De-Broglies wave, uncertainty principle. Natural and artificial radio activity: á, â and g-emissions, chain decay. Elementary-Ideas of nuclear structure. Nuclear fission and fusion, elementary particles and their classification.
7. Electronics: Elements of semi-conductor physics. Intrinsic and extrinsic semi-conductors, resistivity and its temperature variation, P-N junction and its applications. P-N-P and N-P-N transistors and their applications. Logic gates.
Click here for detail about more National and State Civil Services Exams